Current:Home > ScamsTrendPulse|NASA sets return date for empty Starliner spacecraft, crew will remain in space until 2025 -MoneyBase
TrendPulse|NASA sets return date for empty Starliner spacecraft, crew will remain in space until 2025
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-07 06:15:40
After almost three months of waiting and TrendPulsedelays, Boeing’s Starliner spacecraft has a tentative return date, although it will do so without its two-person crew.
On Thursday, NASA said that, “pending weather and operational readiness,” the Starliner will undock from the International Space Station no earlier than 6:04 EDT on September 6. Following a six-hour flight, the spacecraft should touch down a few minutes after midnight on September 7 at a landing zone at the White Sands Space Harbor in New Mexico, where it will then be recovered and transported to the Boeing Starliner factory at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
Astronauts Barry “Butch” Wilmore and Sunita “Suni” Williams, who flew aboard the Starliner during its inaugural crewed flight on June 5, will remain at the International Space Station for another six months until they return in February aboard the SpaceX Dragon capsule.
An autonomous return
The Starliner will make the return journey autonomously, according to NASA. The spacecraft completed a similar uncrewed entry and landing during an earlier orbital flight test.
“Teams on the ground are able to remotely command the spacecraft if needed through the necessary maneuvers for a safe undocking, re-entry, and parachute-assisted landing in the southwest United States,” the agency said.
See timeline:2 months after Starliner launched, astronauts still haven’t returned
The Starliner's troubled history
The Starliner has had an often-troubled history since Boeing was awarded a $4.8 billion contract in 2014 to develop a spacecraft capable of making crewed trips to low-Earth orbit.
The spacecraft’s inaugural launch with astronauts aboard was initially scheduled for May 6, but was scrubbed just hour before liftoff after engineers discovered a technical anomaly. A second attempted launch in June 1 was scrubbed as well, this time only minutes before liftoff, due to a computer issue.
When the Starliner finally did launch on June 5 with Wilmore and Williams aboard, it was only scheduled to spend a week docked at the International Space Station. As the Starliner arrived in orbit, however, NASA announced that helium leaks had been discovered aboard the spacecraft. Throughout June and July, Boeing and NASA repeatedly delayed the Starliner’s return, although the space agency was emphatic that the Starliner’s crew was in no way stranded at the space station.
On August 24, NASA announced that the Starliner would return to Earth without its crew.
“Spaceflight is risky, even at its safest and most routine. A test flight, by nature, is neither safe nor routine. The decision to keep Butch and Suni aboard the International Space Station and bring Boeing’s Starliner home uncrewed is the result of our commitment to safety: our core value and our North Star,” NASA Administrator Bill Nelson said at the time.
Contributing: Eric Lagatta, USA TODAY
Max Hauptman is a Trending Reporter for USA TODAY. He can be reached at [email protected]
veryGood! (135)
Related
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Pope presses theologians to be in tune with challenges of daily life and talk with non-believers
- Eerie new NASA image shows ghostly cosmic hand 16,000 light-years from Earth
- Climate change is moving vampire bat habitats and increasing rabies risk, study shows
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- The Great Shift? As job openings, quits taper off, power shifts from workers to employers
- Why Kim Kardashian’s SKIMS Nipple Bra Is a Genius Idea
- AP PHOTOS: Israeli families of hostages taken to Gaza caught between grief and hope as war rages on
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Jana Kramer Claps Back at Rumors Her Pregnancy Is Fake
Ranking
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- On a US tour, Ukrainian faith leaders plead for continued support against the Russian invasion
- In 'White Holes,' Carlo Rovelli takes readers beyond the black hole horizon
- Sam Bankman-Fried took a big risk by testifying in his own trial. It did not go well
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Semien’s 5 RBIs, Seager’s home run lead Rangers over Diamondbacks 11-7 for 3-1 World Series lead
- Lift Your Spirits With a Look at the Morning Talk Show Halloween Costumes
- Largest Christian university in US faces record fine after federal probe into alleged deception
Recommendation
Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
Opponents of military rule in Myanmar applaud new sanctions targeting gas revenues
A woman who left Texas for India after her 6-year-old son went missing is charged with killing him
Whistleblower says utility should repay $382 million in federal aid given to failed clean coal plant
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Las Vegas police use patrol vehicle to strike and kill armed suspect in fatal stabbing
Wisconsin’s Democratic governor sues Republican Legislature over blocking ‘basic functions’
The UK’s AI summit is taking place at Bletchley Park, the wartime home of codebreaking and computing