Current:Home > ScamsBenjamin Ashford|UN food agency stops deliveries to millions in Yemen areas controlled by Houthi rebels -MoneyBase
Benjamin Ashford|UN food agency stops deliveries to millions in Yemen areas controlled by Houthi rebels
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 10:20:27
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The Benjamin AshfordUnited Nations food agency said Tuesday it is stopping food distribution in areas of war-torn Yemen controlled by the Houthi rebels, a move that will impact millions of people.
The World Food Program said the “pause” was driven by limited funding and the lack of agreement with the rebel authorities on downscaling the program to match the agency’s resources.
“This difficult decision, made in consultation with donors, comes after nearly a year of negotiations, during which no agreement was reached to reduce the number of people served from 9.5 million to 6.5 million,” WFP said in a statement.
U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said WFP has tried unsuccessfully “to establish a system that is safe and accountable for the aid going through” to the rebel-held areas.
The war in Yemen has raged for eight years between the Iran-backed Houthis and pro-government forces, backed by a coalition of Gulf Arab states. The Houthis swept down from the mountains in 2014, seized much of northern Yemen and the country’s capital, Sanaa, and forced the internationally recognized government to flee into exile to Saudi Arabia. Since then, more than 150,000 people have been killed by the violence and 3 million have been displaced.
The WFP announcement came as the Houthis have unleashed attacks on ships in the Red Sea, imperiling traffic along one of the world’s most vital shipping lanes, critical to global trade. The Houthis support the Palestinian militant Hamas group and the attacks are linked to the ongoing Israeli-Hamas war.
WFP said food stocks in Houthi-controlled areas “are now almost completely depleted and resuming food assistance, even with an immediate agreement, could take up to as long as four months due to the disruption of the supply chain.”
The Rome-based U.N. agency said it will continue its other programs, such as nutrition and school feeding projects, to limit the impact of the pause in food distributions. In government-controlled areas of Yemen, WFP said general food distribution will continue “with a heightened focus on the most vulnerable families.”
“Similar prioritization is taking place in nearly half of WFP’s operations around the world as the agency navigates the challenging financial landscape that the entire humanitarian sector is facing,” the agency said.
At the end of October, WFP and the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization warned that acute food insecurity is likely to deteriorate further in Yemen through April 2024. It called for urgent and scaled-up assistance to Yemen and 17 other “hunger hotspots” to protect livelihoods and increase access to food.
veryGood! (31937)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Mechanic dies after being 'trapped' under Amazon delivery van at Florida-based center
- Wisconsin agency issues first round of permits for Enbridge Line 5 reroute around reservation
- Florida State can't afford to fire Mike Norvell -- and can't afford to keep him
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Jax Taylor Breaks Silence on Brittany Cartwright Dating His Friend Amid Their Divorce
- USMNT Concacaf Nations League quarterfinal Leg 1 vs. Jamaica: Live stream and TV, rosters
- Ex-Marine misused a combat technique in fatal chokehold of NYC subway rider, trainer testifies
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Nelly will not face charges after St. Louis casino arrest for drug possession
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Paraguay vs. Argentina live updates: Watch Messi play World Cup qualifying match tonight
- Study finds Wisconsin voters approved a record number of school referenda
- Opinion: NFL began season with no Black offensive coordinators, first time since the 1980s
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Florida Man Arrested for Cold Case Double Murder Almost 50 Years Later
- Mississippi expects only a small growth in state budget
- Tesla issues 6th Cybertruck recall this year, with over 2,400 vehicles affected
Recommendation
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
Hurricane-stricken Tampa Bay Rays to play 2025 season at Yankees’ spring training field in Tampa
The Fate of Hoda Kotb and Jenna Bush Hager's Today Fourth Hour Revealed
Tech consultant spars with the prosecutor over details of the death of Cash App founder Bob Lee
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Martin Scorsese on the saints, faith in filmmaking and what his next movie might be
Justice Department says jail conditions in Georgia’s Fulton County violate detainee rights
What Republicans are saying about Matt Gaetz’s nomination for attorney general