Current:Home > StocksTradeEdge-NYC issues vacate orders to stabilize historic Jewish sites following discovery of 60-foot tunnel -MoneyBase
TradeEdge-NYC issues vacate orders to stabilize historic Jewish sites following discovery of 60-foot tunnel
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-07 07:24:38
NEW YORK (AP) — New York building officials have TradeEdgeissued emergency work orders to stabilize a historic synagogue and its neighboring structures after an illicit underground tunnel was discovered at the sanctuary earlier this week.
An investigation by the city’s Department of Buildings uncovered a tunnel that was 60-foot-long (18.3 meter), 8-foot-wide (2.4 meter) and 5-foot-high (1.5 meter) located underneath the global headquarters of the Chabad Lubavitch movement, an important Jewish site. It extends under several buildings in the vicinity.
“As a result of this extensive investigation, we have issued emergency work orders to stabilize the buildings above the tunnel, vacate orders in parts of the buildings to ensure occupant safety, and enforcement actions against the property owners for the illegal work,” Andrew Rudansky, a spokesperson for the buildings department, said in an email to The Associated Press.
The property is a deeply revered site that each year receives thousands of visitors, including international students and religious leaders. Its Gothic Revival facade, immediately recognizable to adherents of the Chabad movement, has inspired dozens of replicas across the world.
Officials and locals said young men in the community recently built the tunnel in secret. When the group’s leaders tried to seal it off Monday, supporters of the tunnel staged a protest that turned violent as police moved in to make arrests.
A spokesperson for the buildings department said the tunnel did not have approval and permits from the city. City inspectors found dirt, tools and debris inside.
Rabbi Motti Seligson, a spokesperson for Chabad, characterized the tunnel as a rogue act of vandalism committed by a group of misguided young men, and condemned the “extremists who broke through the wall to the synagogue, vandalizing the sanctuary, in an effort to preserve their unauthorized access.”
Those who supported the tunnel, meanwhile, said they were carrying out an “expansion” plan long envisioned by the former head of the Chabad movement, Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson.
Rundansky, of the building department, said the excavation work to create the tunnel caused structural issues at two single-story buildings, resulting in orders to partially vacate them for safety reasons.
The agency also issued a full vacate order at a two-story brick building behind the synagogue. Seligson said the building, which houses offices and a lecture hall, had been vacated prior to the city’s order.
There was inadequate and rudimentary shoring used in the tunnel, the investigation found, as well as in basement-level wall openings created in adjacent buildings.
The owners of the buildings have already engaged an architect, engineer and contractor to do the needed work, Rudansky said.
The department has also cited the synagogue for the illegal excavation work that created the tunnel, he said.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Locals look for silver linings as Amazon hits pause on its new HQ
- If You Want a Low-Maintenance Skincare Routine, Try This 1-Minute Facial While It’s 59% Off
- Ryan Seacrest Replacing Pat Sajak as Wheel of Fortune Host
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Yes, You Can Stay at Barbie's Malibu DreamHouse Because Life in Plastic Is Fantastic
- Can the World’s Most Polluting Heavy Industries Decarbonize?
- Dancing With the Stars Alum Mark Ballas Expecting First Baby With Wife BC Jean
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Americans snap up AC units, fans as summer temperatures soar higher than ever
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Texas is using disaster declarations to install buoys and razor wire on the US-Mexico border
- Need workers? Why not charter a private jet?
- Shakira Recalls Being Betrayed by Ex Gerard Piqué While Her Dad Was in ICU
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Doug Burgum is giving $20 gift cards in exchange for campaign donations. Experts split on whether that's legal
- It takes a few dollars and 8 minutes to create a deepfake. And that's only the start
- The Best Waterproof Foundation to Combat Sweat and Humidity This Summer
Recommendation
Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
Yes, You Can Stay at Barbie's Malibu DreamHouse Because Life in Plastic Is Fantastic
5 big moments from the week that rocked the banking system
The Bachelorette Charity Lawson Explains Her Controversial First Impression Rose Decision
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
California enters a contract to make its own affordable insulin
Stranger Things' Noah Schnapp Shares Glimpse Inside His First Pride Celebration
Shining a Light on Suicide Risk for Wildland Firefighters