Current:Home > MyBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -MoneyBase
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 06:06:18
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (37713)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Man arrested after Target gift cards tampered with in California, shoppers warned
- Forest Whitaker's ex-wife, actress Keisha Nash, dead at 51: 'Most beautiful woman in the world'
- California expands insurance access for teens seeking therapy on their own
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- 23andMe: Hackers accessed data of 6.9 million users. How did it happen?
- App stop working? Here's how to easily force quit on your Mac or iPhone
- Army secretary fires top prosecutor over 2013 email questioning sexual assault claims
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- NTSB holds forum on pilots' mental health, chair says the existing rules are arcane
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Shots fired outside Temple Israel in Albany, New York governor says
- A small police department in Minnesota’s north woods offers free canoes to help recruit new officers
- Lawsuit accuses NCAA of antitrust violation in college athlete transfer rule
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- The biggest takeaways and full winners from The Game Awards
- Songwriter Tiffany Red pens letter to Diddy, backing Cassie's abuse allegations: 'I fear for my safety'
- Disney plans more residential communities, and these won't be in Florida
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Derek Hough reveals wife Hayley Erbert underwent emergency surgery for 'cranial hematoma'
North Dakota Sen. Kevin Cramer's son in police chase that ends in deputy's death
Doomsday Mom Lori Vallow Daybell arraigned on conspiracy charge in fourth husband's shooting death
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
See Peach Fuzz, Pantone's color of the year for 2024
'I saw the blip': Radar operator's Pearl Harbor warning was ignored
US Sen. Kevin Cramer’s son charged with manslaughter in crash that killed North Dakota deputy