Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-California man gets 4 years in prison for false sex assault claims against Hollywood executives -MoneyBase
Oliver James Montgomery-California man gets 4 years in prison for false sex assault claims against Hollywood executives
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 06:03:44
NEW YORK (AP) — A California man was sentenced Monday to four years in prison for seeking to win a $100 million lawsuit by making false sexual assault claims against Hollywood executives.
Rovier Carrington,Oliver James Montgomery 34, of Los Angeles was sentenced in Manhattan federal court after he pleaded guilty to making a false declaration in the 2018 civil case.
The sentence issued by Judge Valerie E. Caproni was more than twice what prosecutors requested. In a pre-sentence submission, they wrote that Carrington’s fraud could fuel “the false perception that many such claims are fraudulent, chilling others from bringing meritorious sexual-assault claims.”
Carrington’s civil case was tossed out by a judge after he failed to appear at a hearing when he was scheduled to answer questions from the judge about the fraud. Still, prosecutors said, Carrington made similar allegations in a $1 billion lawsuit filed in another court. It, too, was tossed out.
Carrington was arrested in California in September 2021 on a perjury charge for fabricating emails to make it seem that he had been sexually assaulted by two Hollywood executives who he claimed had prevented the production of his reality television program.
He had claimed in the 2018 lawsuit that he was “related to Hollywood royalty” as the great-grandson of one of “The Three Stooges” actors and was a writer, actor and producer of TV shows who had worked in 2010 on a reality TV show, “The Life of a Trendsetter.”
After defendants in the civil action produced proof that emails were fabricated, Carrington was ordered to pay $600,000 in attorneys’ fees and costs.
The judge in the case said Carrington had taken steps, including discarding an iPhone, to destroy evidence even as defendants were trying to obtain as much information as possible about his allegations.
Prosecutors said email chains that Carrington submitted to support his lawsuit were faked and that he was unable to produce original versions of any of the chains. They said the emails he offered also could not be located in email accounts belonging to alleged recipients.
In a sentencing submission, Carrington’s defense lawyers described mental health issues Carrington has faced and wrote that he was a “warmhearted, thoughtful and kind” client who acknowledges the mistakes he made at a time when his life was spiraling from one disaster to the next.
“He is contrite and remorseful for his conduct and looks forward to moving past this case and to the next stage of his life,” they wrote, asserting that the more than seven months Carrington has already spent in prison was enough punishment.
veryGood! (23)
Related
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- A woman accuses a schoolmate of raping her at age 12. The school system says she is making it up.
- Smuggling suspect knew of frigid cold before Indian family’s death on Canada border, prosecutors say
- Lego moves to stop police from using toy's emojis to cover suspects faces on social media
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Diddy investigated for sex trafficking: A timeline of allegations and the rapper's life, career
- Youngkin acts on gun bills, vetoing dozens as expected, amending six and signing two pairs
- Utah women's basketball team experienced 'racial hate crimes' during NCAA Tournament
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Christine Quinn's Husband Christian Dumontet Denies Assault While Detailing Fight That Led to 911 Call
Ranking
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Jake Paul, Mike Tyson take their fight to social media ahead of Netflix bout
- Diddy investigated for sex trafficking: A timeline of allegations and the rapper's life, career
- Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs’ lawyer says raids of the rapper’s homes were ‘excessive’ use of ‘military force’
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Jason Dickinson scores twice as the Chicago Blackhawks beat the Calgary Flames 3-1
- Pregnant Chick-fil-A manager killed in crash with prison transport van before baby shower
- Pregnant Chick-fil-A manager killed in crash with prison transport van before baby shower
Recommendation
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
RFK Jr. threatens to sue Nevada over ballot access
Sean 'Diddy' Combs' lawyer says rapper is innocent, calls home raids 'a witch hunt'
Jason Dickinson scores twice as the Chicago Blackhawks beat the Calgary Flames 3-1
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Former Chiefs Cheerleader Krystal Anderson Dies Days After Stillbirth
Sinking Coastal Lands Will Exacerbate the Flooding from Sea Level Rise in 24 US Cities, New Research Shows
Tiny, endangered fish hinders California River water conservation plan